Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Two Little Memories

Had to quickly jot down these two memories before I forgot:

1. Craig used to pick me up and drop me off at my parents' place just about every day when we first started dating. We would linger as long as we possibly could on the doorstep right up to the very minute it was my curfew. My parents have one of those doors with a window at the very top part of it and I can't tell you how many times we would be making out or hugging or whatever and I'd look up to see my dad's face looking all stern and telling me to hurry the hell up with his eyes through that little window. I even remember a few times where he would flicker the lights to get us to hurry up. Craig and I never managed a quick goodbye once in nine years. Even with my dad's 'scary' face and the flickering lights, it would still take us another ten, fifteen, or twenty minutes. Except the one time he farted on the doorstep and took off running, shouting goodbye over his shoulder. I had no idea what was going on until I smelled it. He'd kill me for sharing that. Sorry, Craig.

2. My mom likes to call me her little trailmaker. It's true, I have a problem with this. I'm a generally tidy person, and am actually somewhat anal when it comes to arranging furniture and decluttering knick knacks and having things just-so. But for some reason, when I come home, I drop the shoes right in the middle of the doorway, the backpack or purse wherever I am standing, and so on and so forth. You can tell which rooms I have been in in the house on any given day by the half-drunk glasses of water I leave in each one. Used to drive Craig bonkers. My worst one? I would take off my jacket and leave it on the back of a chair. Either the couch, or a dining room chair, or his recliner. Didn't matter how many times he yelled at me, I couldn't kick the habit of dropping it on the back of a chair as soon as I walked in the door. We had a huge closet right beside the front door and STILL I couldn't remember to hang it up there. In the last couple years he just started meeting me at the front door whenever I came home and would take my coat from me and hang it up in the closet while we said hello. I didn't even realize he had started doing it for months and months, I was that oblivious. Just one of those little things I loved about him.

Anyway, was just reminded of each of these today. Don't want to forget, have to write it down.

2 comments: